When you are sick and need to miss a final
Students who have a medical or mental health illness during the final exam period that significantly impairs one's ability to prepare for or take a final exam may participate in the process outlined below for assistance.
Student tasks for the process are in bold.
- Consult with a provider prior to or on the day of your exam - this process cannot be done retroactively.
- A Campus Health or CAPS provider will authorize the "Official Permit" if it is determined that the student's ability to prepare for or take the final exam was significantly impaired by a medical or mental health illness. If you visit provider outside of Campus Health or CAPS, you must transmit documentation of the medical/mental health visit to Health Information at [email protected] or by fax 919-966-0616. Include specific dates and times of requested excused exams. This will go to a Campus Health provider for review and authorization and will be documented in our system.
- Your name, PID, date of exam, time of exam, and name of authorizing Campus Health or CAPS provider is placed on the "Excused Examination List" which is shared daily with the University Registrar and Academic Advising office. The student (or their designee) should receive an email from the Registrar to their UNC email account with an attached "Permit to Take a Final Examination" within 24 hours. If that email is not received, contact [email protected].
- After a student receives the electronic permit, the student must:
- Email instructor(s) about the final exam excused absence, include the electronic permit, and determine alternative final exam options.
For more information about Final Examination Excuses, go to advising.unc.edu/policies-and-procedures/final-exam-excuse