About Us

Who Can Use Counseling and Psychological Services?

All students and Postdoctoral fellows who pay the current term Campus Health Fee campus use Counseling and Psychological Services.

Spouses and domestic partners of degree-seeking undergraduate students, graduate students, and Postdoctoral fellows can receive care at CAPS once they:

  • Show proof of insurance
  • Show proof of their marriage or a notarized affidavit of domestic partnership
  • Pay the current term health fee

Couple's counseling may be requested when both persons can receive services at CAPS. 

Part-time and distance learning students can receive care at Campus Health and CAPS by showing proof of insurance and paying the current term health fee.

When does my ability to use CAPS begin and end?

Students who pay the Campus Health Fee during an academic term can receive care until the start of the next term. 

Students not enrolled in summer classes can receive care during the summer months by paying the summer Campus Health Fee. These students must have also paid the Campus Health Fee for the previous spring semester.

Some students who move in before the university opens for a term can receive care before the term begins. This applies to Resident Assistants, certain athletic teams, and other specific groups.

Graduates can receive care at CAPS for thirty days after graduation. 

Who cannot use CAPS?

If you do not pay the Campus Health Fee, you cannot receive care at CAPS. Examples of UNC programs that do not require students to pay the health fee include, but are not limited to, Part-Time Classroom Studies (undergraduate and graduate) and non-degree distance programs (including online and off-campus). Distance and part-time students can opt to pay the health fee for that term and show proof of insurance to access care at Campus Health and CAPS.

Sharing and printing options: