Some anxiety or tension before an exam is helpful; but exam anxiety is when tension or nervousness around test time is so high that it has a negative effect on your performance.
Several causes of exam anxiety
- Fear of failure or success.
- Self-esteem too dependent on grades.
- Effects of procrastination.
Ways to cope with exam anxiety
- Adequate advance preparation (tutoring if necessary).
- "Practice" in exam setting (go to the location of the exam and rehearse).
- Answer items you know first.
- Practice a relaxation technique at home before the exam.
- If blocking occurs during the exam, use anxiety management techniques to relax and re-approach.