ADHD Treatment at CAPS
ADHD medication might help me but I have never been prescribed them. How do I get on medication?
Your CAPS provider needs specific documentation of the testing that was done to diagnose your ADHD in order to prescribe the appropriate medication for you. The required testing is not conducted at Campus Health or CAPS.
I have been tested for and diagnosed with ADHD, and I am already on medication. How do I get a CAPS provider to write a prescription for the medication that I take?
- All ADHD medication management is handled by CAPS psychiatric providers.
- To get referred to a medication evaluation, please walk into CAPS with your testing documentation for an initial assessment.
- Documentation can be submitted during your initial assessment, emailed to email@example.com, or faxed to 919-966-4605, Attn: Health Information Management. Please note this documentation will need to be submitted and reviewed prior to being referred to a psychiatric provider at CAPS.
- The CAPS psychiatric provider will do the following at the medication appointment:
- Check your blood pressure and heart rate
- Review your medical history including personal and family history of heart-related conditions. You may need additional evaluation depending on your personal or family health history.
- Review the Campus Health Stimulant Medication Contract. You must agree to and sign the contract to obtain a prescription for medication. You may view the contract prior to your visit on the Campus Health website.
- Subsequent appointments called med checks will be scheduled at regular intervals to assess the effectiveness of the medication, side effects, heart rate, and blood pressure.
I have a medical provider who writes my prescriptions for medications to treat ADHD. How do I get these filled at Campus Health Pharmacy or Student Stores Pharmacy?
Campus Health Pharmacy and Student Stores Pharmacy fill prescriptions for ADHD medications that are written by CAPS providers or outside providers. A Campus Health Pharmacist will review with you the Campus Health Stimulant Medication Contract. You must agree to and sign the contract to obtain your prescription for medication.