Questions to ask during your initial conversation with a therapist to help you assess if they will be a good fit for you.
Getting help for mental health services can be challenging. Some students struggle with stigma. Others worry about time or financial constraints. We understand that it takes courage to seek therapy. Our goal in referral coordination is to help you navigate the process and access the services that will be the most helpful to you.
Referral Coordinators will:
- Answer questions about therapy
- Help you develop appropriate goals for therapy
- Talk through ambivalence you may have about taking the next steps
- Provide you with a list of therapists targeted to your concerns and preferences
- Help you determine the cost of therapy using information about insurance
- Problem solve about any obstacles (cost, transportation, time) that may arise.
- Provide continued support until you connect with a provide or resource with which you feel comfortable
During your initial assessment at CAPS, you will be offered referral coordination services when referred to the community. If you have been seen on a walk-in basis within the last month, the front desk staff can help you schedule with a referral coordinator should you find you need support connecting to a community provider.
Alternatively, referral support is offered via email to students at CAPSreferrals@unc.edu. Please include your insurance and any preferences you have for a provider. Emails will be responded to within one week.
Those referred to community mental health services may be eligible for need-based funding and should discuss options with the referral coordinator.