Initial Walk-In Assessments
All students or Postdoctoral Fellows begin their work with CAPS through an initial walk-in assessment.
No appointment for initial assessments
Initial assessments occur without an appointment for students seeking counseling or psychological services for the first time that term at UNC-Chapel Hill. The initial assessment is an opportunity to speak with a mental health professional about challenges and determine a plan for next steps.
Monday - Thursday 9 am - 12 pm, 1 pm - 4 pm
Friday 9:30 am - 12 pm, 1 pm - 4 pm
Hours may vary during holidays and academic breaks.
Initial Visit Flow
- Complete a brief questionnaire. Be as detailed as desired.
- Speak to a mental health professional about challenges managing academic and personal demands.
- Create an agreed upon plan for moving forward to reach goals.
Possible Next Steps
- Brief therapy offers support for issues that are relatively well-defined and can be adequately addressed or resolved in a brief time frame
- Group therapy offers connection with people struggling in similar ways or desiring similar support
- Medication management providers educate on, evaluate, prescribe and monitor psychotropic medication
- Referral coordination helps you navigate the process of connecting with a provider in the community